Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Voting in the Future



I have a bit of a random topic this week. I want to talk about voting. Today was the national Election Day where the nation decided who they wanted to run the country for the next four years. I have no idea how many people voted, but like we have talked about in class, the numbers are probably less than satisfying. People just don’t care to get involved anymore for reasons that range from an inability to get to their voting precinct to feeling disenfranchised about the value of their vote. But to get back to the topic of media, I have heard half-joking, half-serious discussion to allow people to vote online or even via text message. There are obvious flaws in this plan. I mean how will the government verify the identity of each voter and what about those who don’t have access to the internet? It sounds ridiculous, but could this change be necessary or inevitable in the years to come?
I am asking all these questions because who can really know what technology will be like in even the next ten years. Modern technology is in constant flux, and every few years previously successful technologies are made obsolete. Just consider each new incarnation of the iPhone. Each year they come out with a new one that has few differences to its predecessor, but people still line up to pay hundreds of dollars to get them.
So in the future we may not have to get out and go to our voting precincts in order to vote. I mean the possibilities are limitless. Technology could increase voting rates among all age groups. Someday the voting rate could even reach 90-100% with new technologies. The voting booth could come to you! It could pop up on ATM machines or on your iPad when you go to check out Facebook. As for 2012 and the years to come, the voting population will have to keep showing up at their precincts in order to make their voices heard.

                                     

Just as a pat on my own back, I drove an hour back to my home town and cast my vote! This was honestly my first time to vote, and the drive was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment