Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Exploiting the Second Screen


This week I decided to explore a topic that has been on my mind lately. It’s the new trend of exploiting a second screen during television viewing. During my research, I found that it has been around for a little while, but obviously it is finally getting positive interest. The most popular/notable system is AMC’s Story Sync which will be my main focus.
There is no denying the fact that audiences are more inclined to have out their laptops or smart phones while they watch TV. Technology has become too prominent, and people are use to multitasking. Then there is competition with DVRs. They allow audiences to record a show and watch it on their time without having to sit through the commercials which seem to be throwing off the traditional TV business model that has been around for decades. However, TV executives are not only catching on but they are starting to use one to circumvent the other. Thus solving not only the issues of distracted watching and DVR usage but they are also providing a richer/deeper viewing experience for devoted fans and increasing interest among non-viewers. However, not everyone agrees that the interactive experience is beneficial when you are actually watching the show.
Before I get into that I want to describe how Story Sync works and some of its features. It can be found on AMC’s website and it is timed to start with the show (on both coasts), so you have to have your phone/tablet/computer ready to go when the show starts. Then during the show, polls, flashbacks, and fun facts pop up which allow you to remember things from previous seasons you may have forgot or speculate with the rest of the world on what will happen next with the characters. There is even a live message board for people to post questions/rant about character or the story/funny observations. The sync then stops with the show.
The system does sound like it has its benefits, BUT I think it just serves as a distraction and a means for advertisers to bombard the audience with twice the advertising they would usually get with just watching the show. There are short audio cues when new information is about to pop up and some people reported that they missed information on the show because they were distracted by the sync. Then during the commercials for the show the Story Sync stops to show commercials as well, and when you click to watch a clip, you have to sit through a commercial.
To their credit, TV executives and Story Sync creators are working very closely in order to keep the sync from being a distraction by timing updates so that they don’t come during important plot moments or dialogue. They also won’t use Story Sync on every show. They know that the system suits some shows more than others, like The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad.
However, I think I will still keep my phone and computer off when watching Tv. I don’t even like it when my roommate talks when I watch The Walking Dead, so why would I want my phone to distract me when I watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment